Commonly referred to as a cap, a dental crown is used to treat a large cavity, support a weak tooth, restore a cracked tooth, or disguise a stained tooth. Built to be situated over the appropriate tooth and colored to blend with the surrounding teeth for a seamless appearance, a dental crown maintains and enhances functionality to weakened teeth. The dental professionals of Eastview Dental Care offer several different materials for crowns to better suit the needs of men and women in Garland, TX.
During your initial appointment with a qualified staff member of the Eastview Dental Care dental team, we will discuss the various crown material options with you to allow you to select the ideal material that fits your dental needs, smile objectives, and expenses. When you want to discover more about the different types of crowns and the ways they can improve your teeth, then read below for more in-depth information.
CANDIDATES FOR A DENTAL CROWN:
One of our dental professionals might recommend a dental crown as a solution for multiple reasons, including:
- In order to recover a tooth’s purpose and aesthetics after a root canal procedure
- To function as a foundation to help keep dental bridges in place
- As a way to cover a broken tooth, defending it from revealed nerves, which may result in extreme sensitivity and discomfort
- As a support system for loose or damaged teeth
- When a cavity is too extensive to be treated with a traditional filling
- Used aesthetically to disguise discolored or misshapen teeth
- To allow for the preservation of a weak, decaying tooth as a way to decrease future dental concerns
CATEGORIES OF DENTAL CROWNS
Based on an individual's needs, tooth placement, and preferences, crowns are created from multiple substances. While a number of crowns may last upwards of 15 years, others are merely a momentary fix.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Considered the best cosmetic option, this dental crown features a color-match unsurpassed by any other material. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are frequently used on the forward teeth and modeled after the shape, color, and size of the patient’s current teeth. This material is also ideal for patients who havewho suffer from] allergic reactions to metal.
- Temporary: This type of crown is created with acrylic or stainless steel and is typically produced in the dental professional's office for quicker coverage, as opposed to a permanent crown, which is prepared in a dental laboratory.
- Metal: A metal crown is usually made with stainless steel or various other metals, which are customized for the patient's required needs.
- Porcelain over Metal: A porcelain over metal crown is ideal for protecting forward or back teeth and enhances the strength of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain helps the dentist to specifically match the existing enamel of neighboring teeth for a seamless look.
THE WAY IT WORKS
The primary step for individuals in Garland, TX to obtain a dental crown is to discuss with a dentist at Eastview Dental Care for a consultation. At this appointment, impressions of your smile will be obtained, which ensures the personalized fit of your restoration. When your dental crown is complete, the treatment site will be effectively numbed with a local anesthetic before the existing tooth may be prepared to assure the crown’s fit. Further impressions are needed to evaluate the proper fit and bite before it is secured of the crown onto the existing tooth or fixed to a dental implant. The proper configuration of a new crown ensures continuing stability. The complete process can take a number of weeks to complete, as crowns are sent to a laboratory for customization. If required, a temporary crown could be recommended.
When the anesthesia has subsided, normal daily tasks may be resumed. The dental team at Eastview Dental Care will give post-care instructions that are crucial to follow for the best recovery and healing. We will show you the best way to tend to your crown, including specific foods to avoid. For patients who grind their teeth or clench their jaws, a night guard can be recommended to preserve your crown. It is necessary to continue your yearly dental exams at Eastview Dental Care to ensure optimal oral health for years to come. Regular daily brushing and flossing can help to protect against decay or gum disease and the requirement for further crowns later on.
Dedicated to your excellent oral health, Eastview Dental Care performs treatments for individuals in Garland, TX utilizing the most up-to-date dental procedures, such as dental crowns. Men and women who need a crown can feel comfortable knowing they have options that fit their cosmetic goals and budget. If you are thinking about receiving a dental crown and would like to hear more about this state-of-the-art procedure, we encourage you to call or arrange a consultation with Eastview Dental Care today.